Saturday, November 17, 2012

Pure Balance Dog Food

So, let me tell you about Ahab (again). He has a sensitive stomach and sensitive skin. He breaks out easily (certain grasses, flea bites) and certain foods (any dog food with corn meal, chicken, or wheat basically) upset his stomach. Basically... he's a pain in the butt to buy food for. We tried different foods - first Iam Sensitive Naturals Ocean Fish, Barley and Rice recipe.

To say Ahab didn't like it was an understatement.

Next, we tried Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach Formula. This one was also made with fish and Ahab also hated it. He would just refuse to eat, period. Talk about frustrating.

So we tried Pro Plan Shredded Blend Lamb and Rice and, eureka! Ahab loved it. I even recently reviewed it on Influenster (sidenote! Influenster is a ton of fun. I joined up and have done a ton of reviews for all kinds of stuff) and gave it an A! The only problem? It was close to $16 for only 6lbs! There was no way we could afford to feed Ahab on our budget if we were going to be buying this. As much as Ahab loved it and as much as I loved that he was no longer itchy and rashy.

So it was back to the drawing board. We've been feeding him Purine One Beyond Lamb and Barley, but it's a little pricey too. Yeah... being on a super strict budget with a sensitive doggy? It's no fun.

But then Walmart came out with Pure Balance Lamb and Brown Rice.



It's their answer to the recent trend in better dog food and it's a little less expensive. They had a little chart out and it lined up with most of the stuff Blue Buffalo offers (which is skyscrapers above our budget). I was a bit wary to purchase it, because it's under their Ol Roy brand, which is generally terrible regularly (not to mention, it just tears Ahab's stomach up). But we decided to give it a try.

And Ahab loved it!



He's super stoked whenever meal time rolls around and so far - no upset stomach! We had to go back to cheaper dog food before I found this :( and so he'd broken out again, and his rashes and his itching are beginning to fade away, too.

4 comments:

  1. Next, we tried Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach Formula. This one was also made with fish and love this site Ahab also hated it. He would just refuse to eat, period. Talk about frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO excited that I found yours and Ahab's post on this. I JUST purchased the big bag of the exact same one for my Golden Chein. She sounds EXACTLY like your boy except she doesn't get an upset tummy, that's her daddy Loki. She however is allergic to just about EVERYTHING around her (most recently fleas). She has lost her hair and looks like she had mange : ( I have been doing alot of research on good quality dog foods with no grains and in order to feed 2 big dogs, I would have to mortgage my house, jk. It IS expensive though. So imagine my surprise when I found this food tonight. I thought I would read some reviews before I opened it and I'm glad I did. Thank you again ~ Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With so many books and articles coming up to give gateway to make-money-online field and confusing reader even more on the actual way of earning money, Pure balance dog food

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. Comments make my day! :] If you have your own blog, be sure to leave a link so I can check it out!